Help your preschooler make his own mkeka, the woven mat on which other Kwanzaa symbols rest.
- Black, red, and green construction paper
- Glue or stapler
- Fold black construction paper in half to make a frame for the mat.
- Show your child how to cut from the folded edge to within one inch of the opposite side.
- Make an even number of cuts about one inch apart across the entire width of the paper; unfold.
- Cut one-inch strips of red and green construction paper the length of the frame's width or slightly longer.
- Show your child how to weave the red and green strips over and under the cuts in the frame.
- Use glue or a stapler to secure the strips in place along the edge of the frame; trim if necessary.