In this activity, children will have fun making and trying out homemade tap shoes.
- Metal taps bought at a dance supply store or metal bottle tops without the cork lining and short nails
- Pair of shoes with hard soles
- Fasten the metal taps following supplied directions or fasten the bottle tops with short nails, three of them in a triangular shape at the toe and two at the heel. Make sure the nails won't go through the sole of the shoe or the nails will cut your feet!
- Concrete, tiled, or wood floors make the best noises.
- Put the shoes on and experiment with different movements.
- Shake your body all over to get loosened up. Turn on some music you like and practice tapping your toe and heel with loose leg bones. Invent your own steps.