Meaning and Origin of: Zara
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Girl name origins & meanings:
- Hebrew : Princess, lady
- Arabic, Swahili : White; flowers
- Hebrew, Arabic : Dawn; princess
Girl name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- Italian : habitational name from the Italian name for the city of Zadar on the Dalmatian coast in former Yugoslavia.
- Italian : in Sicily, possibly from a variant of zagara, zagra, zaara ‘orange flower’, or, in Venezia, possibly a variant of Zadra.
- Spanish : probably a metronymic from the female personal name Sara, Zara (see Sara).
- Basque : topographic name from Basque zara ‘wood’, ‘thicket’.