Meaning and Origin of: Troy
Girl name origins & meanings:
- French : Place name
Family name origins & meanings:
- Irish (Munster) : reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Troighthigh ‘descendant of Troightheach’, a byname meaning ‘foot soldier’.
- English (of Norman origin) : habitational name from Troyes in Aude, France. There was also an Anglo-Norman family of this name in Ireland.
- Americanized form of some like-sounding Jewish surname or an Americanized spelling of Treu.
- French : habitational name from a place in the Haute-Garonne.
- Dutch : from a short form of the female personal name Geertrui(de), Dutch form of Gertrude (see Trude).
- Dutch : from Middle Dutch troye ‘doublet’, ‘jerkin’, possibly a metonymic occupational name for a tailor, or a nickname for someone who wore a striking garment of this kind.