Boy name origins & meanings
- German : Stream
- Czechoslovakian : Tree
- Greek : Bed
Family name origins & meanings
- Swedish (Ström) and Danish (Strøm) : fromström ‘current’, probably an arbitrarily adopted ornamental name but possibly a topographic name for someone who lived by a river.
- Norwegian : habitational name from any of numerous farmsteads so named from Old Norse straumr ‘current’, ‘stream’.
- German : variant of Strahm.
- Dutch : from Middle Dutch stroom, of uncertain meaning.
- Polish : topographic name for someone who lived on a steep slope, fromstrom ‘slope’ or stromy ‘precipitous’.
- Czech : topographic name or nickname from strom ‘tree’.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : topographic or ornamental name, from GermanStrom ‘stream’, ‘river’.