Meaning and Origin of: Sandy
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Girl name origins & meanings:
- Greek : Defender of mankind; feminine form of Alexander
- Greek : The original prophet of doom in classical mythology
- English : Defender of mankind
Girl name variations
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Greek : Protector of mankind
- English : One with nature
- Middle English : Alexander's son
- Old English : Dweller at the sandy ford
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- English : habitational name from a place in Bedfordshire, so named from Old English sand ‘sand’ + ēg ‘island’, ‘dry land in a fen or marsh’.
- English : from the Old Norse personal nameSand(i), a short form of the various compound names with the first element sandr ‘sand’.