Meaning and Origin of: Sander
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Greek : Protector of mankind
- Middle English : Alexander's son
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- English, Scottish, Dutch, German, and Swedish : from the personal name Sander, a reduced form of Alexander.
- German : topographic name for someone who lived on sandy soil, from Sand 1 + -er, suffix denoting an inhabitant.
- Norwegian : habitational name from any of seven farmsteads so named in southeastern Norway, from the indefinite plural form of Old Norse sandr ‘sand’, ‘sandy plain’, ‘beach’.