Meaning and Origin of: Rock
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Italian : Rest
- Old English : Rock fortress
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- English : topographic name for someone who lived near a notable crag or outcrop, from Middle English rokke ‘rock’ (see Roach), or a habitational name from a place named with this word, as for example Rock in Northumberland.
- English : variant of Roke (see Rokes 1).
- English : metonymic occupational name for a spinner or a maker of distaffs, from Middle English rok ‘distaff’ (from Old Norse rokkr or Middle Dutch rocke or an unattested Old English cognate).
- German : from a short form of the personal name Rocco (see Roche 3).
- German : metonymic occupational name for a tailor, from Middle High German rok, roc ‘skirt’, ‘gown’.
- German (Röck) : variant of Roche 3.