Meaning and Origin of: Pallas
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Girl name origins & meanings:
- Greek : Another name for Athena, goddess of the arts, goddess of wisdom
Family name origins & meanings:
- German (of Slavic origin) : from a pet form of the personal name Pavel or Paweł, respectively the Czech and Polish forms of Paul, or from a Sorbian cognate.
- German (of Slavic origin) : nickname for a small man, from Slavic palac ‘thumb’.
- Irish : MacLysaght ascribes the origin of this surname in Ireland to the arrival there in the 15th century of a Lombard family of bankers named de Palatio.
- English : from Old French palis, paleis ‘palisade’, ‘fence’, hence a topographic name for someone who lived by a palisade or a metonymic occupational name for a maker of fences.
- English : possibly a metonymic occupational name for someone who worked at a palace (bishop’s, archbishop’s, or royal), from Old French, Middle English palais, paleis.
- English : metonymic occupational name for a worker at a straw stack, from Old French paille ‘straw’ + Middle English hous ‘house’.
- Greek : ornamental name or nickname from Albanian pallë ‘sword’.
- Catalan (Pallàs) : variant spelling of Pallars, a regional name from the Catalan district of Pallars, in the Pyrenees.