Meaning and Origin of: Packard
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Old English : One who packs
Family name origins & meanings:
- English : from Middle English pa(c)k ‘pack’, ‘bundle’ + the Anglo-Norman French pejorative suffix -ard, hence a derogatory occupational name for a peddler.
- English : pejorative derivative of the Middle English personal name Pack.
- English : from a Norman personal name, Pachard, Baghard, composed of the Germanic elements pac, bag ‘fight’ + hard ‘hardy’, ‘brave’, ‘strong’.
- Probably an Americanized spelling of German Packert, Päckert, from Germanic personal names formed with a word meaning ‘battle’ or ‘to fight’; or a variant of Packer 2 (with excrescent -t).