Girl name origins & meanings
- Italian : Mine
- Hebrew : Bitter
- Scandinavian : Star of the sea
What does Mia mean and stand for?
Mia means "Ocean Goddess" or "Queen"; it can also mean "guardian of justice". It is derived from many names, most commonly from the name Maria, but is also derived from names like Amelia (and its various spellings), and Maya.
Girl name variations
Famous people with this first name
Famous people who gave their babies this name
According to Social Security Administration data, Mia has been consistently popular, remaining in the top ten since 2009, and top 50 since 2002.
However, it is the 28th most popular name on FamilyEducation.com.
According to Google search data analysis, in the last five years Mia was at its peak popularity in July 2018.
Mia has been derived from Maria, but has now surpassed Maria in popularity. It first started to be used in the 1960s, and gained in popularity throughout the 1990s and 2000s. Today it is more popular than ever thanks to Mia Farrow.
Where is it Popular?
Mia was searched for most often in the following states:
Pairs well with these middle names
- The Rise of Raindrop Baby Names
- Why Emma Has Been The Top Baby Girl Name For Five Years in a Row
- 20 Baby Names With Even Better Nicknames
- 5 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Skip the Middle Name
- Popular Names and Their Pros and Cons
- Game of Thrones Inspired Baby Names
People who like this name also like