Family name origins & meanings
- English : variant spelling of Mellis 1.
- German : variant of Melius.
- Dutch ((van) Melis) : variant of Millis 2.
- Czech and Slovak (Meliš), and Hungarian : from a short form of the Biblical personal nameMelichar (see Melchior).
- Greek : from the personal name Melis, a pet form of Meletios orMeliton (names of various early saints and martyrs). The personal names are derived from either meli ‘honey’ ormeletan ‘care for’, ‘study’.
- Italian (Sardinia and southern Italy) : habitational name from a place so named in Sardinia.
- Lithuanian : nickname from melis ‘blue’.
- Latvian : unflattering nickname from melis ‘liar’.
- Latvian : variant of Mellis.