Meaning and Origin of: Mayor
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- English : Headman, mayor
- Hebrew : One who brightens
- Latin : Great
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- English (Lancashire) : variant spelling of Mayer 1.
- Spanish and Jewish (Sephardic) : nickname for an older man or a distinguishing epithet for the elder of two bearers of the same personal name, from Spanish mayor ‘older’ (Latin maior (natus), literally ‘greater (by birth)’).
- Spanish and Jewish (Sephardic) : occupational or status name, from major ‘governor’, ‘chief’.
- Catalan : variant spelling of Major.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : variant of Meyer 2.