Meaning and Origin of: Mars
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Latin : Bold warrior; Roman god of war
- English : Handsome
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- English : variant of Marsh.
- French : habitational name from places so named in Ardèche, Ardennes, Gard, Loire, Nièvre, and Meurthe-et-Moselle, from the Latin personal name Marcius, used adjectivally.
- French : from the personal name Meard, Mard, Mart, vernacular forms of the saint’s name Médard. Morlet notes that there are a number of places called Saint-Mars, formerly recorded in Latin as Sanctus Medardus.
- French : from the name of the month, mars ‘ March’, denoting seed sown in March, and hence a metonymic name for an arable grower.
- French (De Mars) : habitational name from Mars in the Ardennes.
- Dutch : from a short form of the personal name Marsilius.