Meaning and Origin of: Leó
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Greek : Lion
- German : Lion-hearted
- Italian : Fierce one from Naples
- African American : Lion in a new city
- Spanish : Holy oil used in church
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- Southern Italian : nickname for a fierce or brave warrior, from Latin leo ‘lion’.
- Italian : from a short form of the personal name Pantaleo.
- Jewish : from the personal name Leo (from Latin leo ‘lion’), borrowed from Christians as an equivalent of Hebrew Yehuda (see Leib 3).
- English : from the Old French personal name Leon ‘lion’ (see Lyon 2).
- Spanish : variant or derivative of the personal name Leon.
- Dutch : from Latin leo ‘lion’, applied either a nickname for a strong or fearless man or a habitational name for someone living at a house distinguished by the sign of a lion; or alternatively from a personal name of the same derivation.
- German and Hungarian (Leó) : Latinized form of Löwe (see Loewe).