Meaning and Origin of: Lander
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Middle English : Occupational name meaning “landowner”; also place name: Lander, Wyoming
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- German and Jewish (Ashkenazic) : topographic name from Middle High German lant, German Land ‘land’, ‘territory’ (see Land 1), used originally to denote either someone who was a native of the area in which he lived, in contrast to a newcomer (see Neumann), or someone who lived in the countryside as opposed to a town.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : habitational name from either of two places called Landau (see Landau), Lande in Yiddish.
- Dutch : from a Germanic personal name formed with land ‘land’ + hardu ‘strong’.
- English : variant of Lavender.
- Americanized form (translation) of French Terrien, found in New England.