Meaning and Origin of: Karman
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Italian : Song
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- Dutch : occupational name for a carter, Middle Dutch kerreman.
- Hungarian (Kármán) : from kármány, ethnic name for the Turkish people of southern Anatolia’s Karaman region, which was famous for its silk and leather products. The Hungarian name is probably derived via medieval Latin Caramanus, Carmanus, not directly from Turkish.
- Jewish (from Hungary) : adoption of 2.
- Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic) : from Russian karman ‘bag’, ‘pocket’, presumably applied as a metonymic occupational name for a maker of such articles.
- Altered spelling of German Karmann.