Meaning and Origin of: Holland
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- French : Place name: province of the Netherlands
- Shakespearean : From Henry VI
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- Irish : reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó hÓileáin, a variant of Ó hAoláin, from a form of Faolán (with loss of the initial F-), a personal name representing a diminutive of faol ‘wolf’. Compare Whelan.
- English and Scottish : habitational name from Holland, a division of Lincolnshire, or any of the eight villages in various parts of England so called, from Old English hōh ‘ridge’ + land ‘land’. The Scottish name may also be from places called Holland in Orkney, Houlland in Shetland, Hollandbush in Stirlingshire, and Holland-Hirst in the parish of Kirkintilloch.
- English, German, Jewish (Ashkenazic), Danish, and Dutch : regional name from Holland, a province of the Netherlands.