Meaning and Origin of: Hardy
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Old English : Good health
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- English, Scottish, and French : nickname for a brave or foolhardy man, from Old French, Middle English hardi ‘bold’, ‘courageous’ (of Germanic origin; compare Hard 1).
- Irish : in addition to being an importation of the English name, this is also found as an Anglicized form (by partial translation) of Gaelic Mac Giolla Deacair ‘son of the hard lad’.
- Scottish : variant spelling of Hardie 2.
- Bearers of the surname Hardy from Anjou and Normandy, France, are documented in Quebec City in 1669. The secondary surnames Châtillon, <xref>Jolicoeur</xref>, and De Joncaire are documented.