Meaning and Origin of: Hamel
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Arabic : Lamb
- Old English : Flat-topped hill
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- English, Scottish, and Irish : variant spelling of Hamill.
- French : topographic name for someone who lived and worked at an outlying farm dependent on the main village, Old French hamel (a diminutive from a Germanic element cognate with Old English hām ‘homestead’).
- German and Jewish (Ashkenazic) : habitational name from the city of Hamlin, German Hameln, Yiddish Haml, where the Hamel river empties into the Weser. The name of the river probably derives from the Germanic element ham ‘water meadow’.
- Dutch : metonymic occupational name for a shepherd, from Middle Dutch hamel ‘wether’, ‘castrated ram’.
- A Hamel from Normandy, France, is documented in St. Jean et St. François, Quebec, in 1666.