Meaning and Origin of: Hackett
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- French : Little hewer of wood
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- Scottish : variant of Halkett, which is probably a habitational name from the lands of Halkhead in Renfrewshire, named with Middle English hauk, halk ‘hawk’ + wude ‘wood’.
- English (mainly central England) : from a pet form of the medieval personal name Hack, Hake (see Hake).
- English : from Middle English haket, a kind of fish, hence perhaps a nickname for someone supposed to resemble such a fish, or a metonymic occupational name for a fisherman or fish seller.
- Irish : when it is not the English name, this may also be an Anglicized form of Gaelic Mac Eachaidh (see Caughey, McGaffey).