Boy name origins & meanings
- Old English : Crooked coastline
- French : Harness maker
Family name origins & meanings
- English (of Norman origin) : regional name for someone from the district north of Paris known in Old French as Gohiere.
- English (of Norman origin) : habitational name from any of the various places in northern France called Gouy (from the Gallo-Roman personal name Gaudius + the locative suffix -acum), with the addition of the Anglo-Norman French suffix -er.
- English : from a Norman personal name, Go(h)ier, cognate with the Old English name mentioned at Gooder.
- Welsh : from the peninsula in southern Wales, of which the Welsh name isGŵyr.
- Probably an Americanized spelling of GermanGauer.