Meaning and Origin of: Dove
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Hebrew : Bear
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- English : from Middle English dove, Old English dūfe ‘dove’ (or perhaps occasionally from the Old Norse cognate dúfa), applied as a nickname for a mild and gentle person or as a metonymic occupational name for a keeper of doves. The Old English word was used as a personal name for either sex in the early Middle English period, and the surname at least in part derives from this use.
- Scottish : translation of Mac Calmáin (see Coleman 1).
- Scottish : variant of Duff.
- North German : nickname for a deaf or dull man, Middle Low German dōf.
- David James Dove was born about 1696 in Portsmouth, England, where his father was a tailor. He arrived with his wife in Philadelphia in 1750 and in 1751 opened an academy for young ladies. He was the first person in PA who attempted to supply higher education for women.