Meaning and Origin of: Dion
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Girl name origins & meanings:
- Greek : Daughter of heaven
Girl name variations
Boy name origins & meanings:
- African American : God of wine and revelry
- Greek : Short form of Dennis
- Greek : Fine wine lover
- Greek : Celebration
- Mythology : God of wine
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- French : habitational name from any of various places called Dion(s) and Dionne, all apparently derived from a Gaulish element divon- ‘(sacred) spring’. Compare Dee 3.
- The earliest Dion on record in North America, from La Rochelle, France, was married in Quebec city in 1672. The name is sometimes rendered in English as <xref>Young</xref>.