Girl name origins & meanings
- Old English : Courtly; courteous
- English : From the court; dignified
Girl name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- English (of Norman origin) : habitational name from Courtenay near Sens in northern France, or some other place similarly named, from the name of a Romano-Gallic landlord, Curtenus (a derivative of Latin curtus ‘short’) + the locative suffix -acum.
- English (of Norman origin) : nickname for someone with a snub nose, from Old French c(o)urt ‘short’ + nes ‘nose’ (Latin nasus).
- Irish : English surname adopted by bearers of Gaelic Ó Curnáin ‘descendant of Curnán’, an Old Irish personal name from a diminutive of corn ‘horn’.