Meaning and Origin of: Colin
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Greek : Famous one
- Irish : Youth
- Greek : Victor; Short form of Nicholas
- Greek : Victorious people
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- French : from a reduced pet form of the personal name Nicolas (see Nicholas).
- English : variant spelling of Collin.
- A Colin from Brittany, France, is documented in St. Ours, Quebec, in 1669, with the secondary surname LaLiberté, which is often translated Liberty; Colin is often Americanized as <xref>Collins</xref>.