Girl name origins & meanings
- Native American : Tall child
Family name origins & meanings
- English : variant spelling of Bligh.
- German : variant of Blei, Bley, a metonymic occupational name for a lead miner or lead worker, from Middle High German blī ‘lead’.
- Dutch : nickname for a cheerful, happy man, Dutch blij.
- Swedish : possibly German in origin (see 2 above) or a soldier’s name.
- Americanized form of a Norwegian habitational name from a farmstead in Hardanger named Bleie, from a river name from Old Norse bleikr ‘gray’, ‘pale’ + vin ‘meadow’.