Family name origins & meanings
- Portuguese or Spanish : habitational name from any of several places called Barros, named with barro ‘loam’, ‘clay’.
- Hungarian : from a pet form of the personal namesBarnabás (see Barnaby) or Bertalan (seeBartholomew).
- Czech and Slovak (Baroš) : from a pet form of the personal name Bartoloměj (seeBartholomew).
- Polish : from a pet form of a personal name beginning with Bar- (Bartłomiej,Bartołt, or Barnaba).
- Greek : nickname from Albanian mbarë ‘happy’, ‘lucky’.