Meaning and Origin of: Barna
Family name origins & meanings:
- Italian : from the ancient Germanic personal name Barna.
- Italian : possibly from a short form of the personal name Barnaba (see Barnaby 1).
- Hungarian : from a short form of the personal name Barnabás (see Barnaby 1).
- Polish (also Slovak and Ukrainian) : from a derivative of the personal name Biernat, Polish form of German Bernhard.
- Possibly from Polish dialect barna, brona ‘harrow’, hence a metonymic occupational name for a peasant who used a harrow.