Girl name origins & meanings
- Hebrew : To choose
Family name origins & meanings
- Scottish : habitational name from Bara, the name of an old manor and parish in East Lothian.
- Polish, Czech, and Slovak (Bára) : from a reduced vernacular form of the Latin personal name Bartolomaeus, Polish Bartłomiej, Czech Bartoloměj (see Bartholomew),
- Hungarian : from a short form of the personal name Barabás (see Barabas).
- French : nickname for a quarrelsome or deceitful person, from Old French barat ‘commerce’, ‘dealings’, a derivative of barater ‘to barter’. Compare Barratt.
- Aragonese : habitational name from Bara in Uesca province, Aragon.
- Catalan (Barà) : respelling of Catalan Berà in Tarragona, Catalonia (see Bera).