Family name origins & meanings
- French : from a pet name derived from the personal nameBabylas; it was the name of patriarch of Antioch who was beatified in the 3rd century.
- Jewish (from Belarus) : metronymic from the personal name Babe.
- Jewish (from Belarus) : habitational name from Babino, a village in Belarus.
- Russian, Ukrainian, and Polish (Babyn) : metronymic or patronymic from baba ‘grandmother’, ‘old woman’, either meaning son of an old woman or a nickname denoting a fussy man.
- Serbian : nickname from baba ‘grandmother’ or babo ‘father’.
- A bearer of the name Babin from the Poitou region of France was documented in Montreal in 1691, with the secondary surname Lacroix. A secondary surname of Lasource is documented with a family from the Maine region.