Source: Early Warning, Timely Response: A Guide to Safe Schools, brought to you by the Department of Education.
Research has demonstrated repeatedly that school communities can do a great deal to prevent violence. Effective prevention, intervention, and crisis response strategies operate best in school communities that:
- Focus on academic achievement.
- Promote good citizenship and character.
- Support students in making the transition to adult life and the workplace.
- Involve families in meaningful ways.
- Develop links to the community.
- Emphasize positive relationships among students and staff.
- Discuss safety issues openly.
- Help children feel safe expressing their feelings.
- Offer extended day programs for children.
- Identify problems and assess progress toward solutions.
- Treat students with equal respect.