- Know your approach or philosophy
- Find out the local regulations
- Be organized, patient, and flexible
- Develop a working relationship with your child
- Find other homeschool parents
- Set aside a time and place for academic work
- Be willing to "graduate" your child to school if and when he's ready to go
- Have a method of evaluation for your child
- Have a plan
- Don't forget the social realm
Know your approach or philosophy.
Why do you want to teach your kids at home? Is it for safety, academic, philosophical, or religious reasons? You have to have a clear answer before you can design your own homeschool program and properly educate your children.