Centers that Test for Dyslexia - FamilyEducation

Expert Advice

Centers that Test for Dyslexia

LD and ADD/ADHD Expert Advice from Eileen S. Marzola, Ed.D.

I'm pretty sure that my eight-year-old is suffering from dyslexia. The problem is that I'm having a lot of trouble getting her tested. She goes to Catholic school and they are almost no help whatsoever. Where can I go? We live in Chicago.
Your child does not have to be attending a public school in order to receive a full evaluation to see if she is dyslexic. The same Committee on Special Education that tests children in the public schools will also test your child free of charge. Federal law guarantees this. Call the national office of the International Dyslexia Association at 1-800-ABCD123 or the Learning Disabilities Association of America at 1-888-300-6710 to locate their offices in the Chicago area. They can walk you through the process.
For more than 20 years, Eileen Marzola has worked with children and adults with learning disabilities and attention deficit disorders, and with their parents and teachers. She has been a regular education classroom teacher, a consultant teacher/resource teacher, an educational evaluator/diagnostician, and has also taught graduate students at the university level. Marzola is an adjunct assistant professor of education at Teachers College, Columbia University, and Hunter College of the City University of New York. She also maintains a private practice in the evaluation and teaching of children with learning disabilities and attention deficit disorders.

Please note: This "Expert Advice" area of should be used for general information purposes only. Advice given here is not intended to provide a basis for action in particular circumstances without consideration by a competent professional. Before using this Expert Advice area, please review our General and Medical Disclaimers.