Finding Help When Your Kids Do Poorly in School - FamilyEducation

Expert Advice

Finding Help When Your Kids Do Poorly in School

LD and ADD/ADHD Expert Advice from Eileen S. Marzola, Ed.D.

Where I can get help for my children? Two of my four kids are in middle school and having lots of trouble. They used to attend inner-city schools and received A's and B's. Then we moved to the country and they started getting bad grades. At first, I thought it was because of the move. But that was three years ago. My oldest is getting almost all F's in school. I can't find help for them. The school won't help. What's my next step?
It doesn't matter whether you live in the city or in the country. Your children are entitled to have an evaluation to see why they are having the trouble they are experiencing in school. If you have spoken to the principal and/or guidance counselor in your school and no one has helped you, then contact the toll-free number for the Learning Disabilities Association of America 1-888-300-6710 or the International Dyslexia Association at 1-800-ABCD123. Someone should be able to walk you through the process of getting the help you need. You can also contact your state Department of Education for help.
For more than 20 years, Eileen Marzola has worked with children and adults with learning disabilities and attention deficit disorders, and with their parents and teachers. She has been a regular education classroom teacher, a consultant teacher/resource teacher, an educational evaluator/diagnostician, and has also taught graduate students at the university level. Marzola is an adjunct assistant professor of education at Teachers College, Columbia University, and Hunter College of the City University of New York. She also maintains a private practice in the evaluation and teaching of children with learning disabilities and attention deficit disorders.

Please note: This "Expert Advice" area of should be used for general information purposes only. Advice given here is not intended to provide a basis for action in particular circumstances without consideration by a competent professional. Before using this Expert Advice area, please review our General and Medical Disclaimers.