Set limits to help your daughter find a balance. You can help her begin to build a path to success -- including the joy and pleasure she finds in music -- by following these suggestions.
- Require a study period each evening, with time for her to sing or research her career.
- Identify local resources for her to learn how to sing and perform even better. Her school counselor and chorus teacher can help you locate music teachers and opportunities for summer performance camps.
- Find a local mentor for your daughter, someone who sings for a job or a hobby, who can talk with her from experience about what it takes to be successful.
- If you do not take a leadership role in helping her to get more realistic goals, you will find her growing farther away from the reality of success and find her less able to cope with what she is required to do.
- Let her find the joy of recognition that comes from doing things well and gaining competence, not just dreaming for that elusive spotlight.