Many people come into a second marriage feeling scared. They may feel they are a failure at marriage, and they don't necessarily believe they can have a successful one. In order to make your new marriage successful, you need to give it a chance. Give yourself permission to start over completely and make this marriage work.
Here are 10 ideas you can use to start fresh with your spouse:
- Start a new photo album and keep it out on your bookshelves.
- Store your old photo albums and other reminders of your previous marriage in your closet or garage.
- Find a new favorite restaurant. Make a point to eat there once a month.
- Discover a charming bed-and-breakfast within several hours of your home. Spend a romantic weekend there several times a year and make it your place.
- Create special traditions all your own. For example, take Sunday walks around your neighborhood or read the newspaper in bed on the weekends.
- Get matching T-shirts and wear them!
- Choose art for your walls together. Whether you buy posters or original paintings, you will be creating the mood for your home together.
- Try new recipes together and choose a few favorites. These can be part of your signature meals when you entertain.
- Over time, replace your daily use kitchen items that you used during your previous marriage. Have a garage sale, or give away pots, pans, silverware, and dishes.
- Carefully wrap and store all valuable wedding gifts from your previous marriage. You can decide what you want to do with them later, but for now, they shouldn't be part of your day-to-day life.