- Ten or more index cards
- Small notebook
- Pencils, crayons, colored pencils, or markers
- Divide the cards into two sets.
- On each card in one set, write a sentence subject like Dad, Justin, The cat, The hat, and so on.
- On each card in the other set, write a predicate like has a bat, is tired, has a bib, is in bed, and so on.
- If you like, write in one color for subjects and one for predicates.
- Let your child pick a subject card and a predicate card and join them to form a sentence, for example: The hat has a bib or The cat is in bed.
- Have your child read the sentence aloud, or read the sentence for him.
- Then have your child print the sentence at the bottom of one page of the notebook (or print it for him).
- Let your child illustrate the sentence. Repeat this process several times to make a nonsense book.