- Index cards
- Pen or marker
- Old magazines
- Photographs (optional)
- Once your child can recognize the letters of the alphabet, you may want to start practicing simple word recognition.
- On one set of index cards, write some simple words, such as cat, dog, or bird.
- On another set, draw or cut out magazine pictures that illustrate the words you have chosen.
- Lay all the cards on the table, face up, and have your child match each word to the corresponding picture.
- Try name recognition by using photographs of your child, siblings, friends, relatives, and so on.
- Write the name of each person on an index card and have your child match the photo to the appropriate name.