Cataloging books is a good rainy day project for the bookworm in your family.
- Notebook, index cards and recipe box, or simple computer database
- Date stamp (optional)
- Compile a list of your family's books, starting with your child's bookshelf.
- Show your child how to write a list that includes at least the title and author of each book.
- If you like, your child might also include each book's subject, publisher, and year of publication.
- Your child can list the books alphabetically in a notebook, note each book on an index card and keep the cards in a recipe box, or enter the information into a simple computer database so it can be sorted by author, title, or subject.
- Once you've cataloged your books, open your library for loans to friends and family members.
- If you like, create a library card for each borrower and record the items you've loaned out.
- Your little librarian may enjoy using a date stamp for stamping due dates.