This craft is found among many cultures of the world. Its Spanish name is ojo de Dios, which means "eye of God."
- Two sticks (any kind)
- Yarn in several colors or variegated yarn
- Have your child cross two sticks so they're perpendicular to each other.
- As your child holds the sticks, bind them together by crisscrossing yarn around the center of the cross.
- Tie one end of a length of yarn to one arm of the cross.
- Show your child how to wrap the yarn over and around an adjacent arm. (Be sure to wrap the yarn around the arm, not just over or under it.)
- Wrap the yarn around the next arm in the same way.
- Keep wrapping yarn in this way, creating a diamond shape, until you want to change colors.
- Tie off the end of the yarn and repeat the process above with a new length of yarn in a different color. Do this as many times as you like.
- If your child has difficulty changing yarn, use variegated yarn.
- You can make your own variegated yarn by cutting yarn of various colors into two-yard lengths.
- Tie the lengths together end to end.