This guessing game will help your child learn to recognize coins and will develop his problem-solving and higher level- thinking skills.Materials
- (Variety of coins)
- Set out one of each kind of coin.
- Think of a coin and give your child hints to help him figure out which coin it is.
- For younger kids, give simple hints like "My coin has a man on one side and a building on the other."
- For older kids, give harder hints like "Ten of these coins equal one dime."
- Keep giving hints until your child guesses the coin.
- Take turns with your child giving hints and guessing coins.
- Once your child knows the various coins well, practice making trades. For example, you might ask your child how many pennies he'll give you for a nickel and a dime, or you might say that you'll give him twenty pennies for a quarter and ask him if that's fair.