- Darning needle
- Solid-colored fabric
- Yarn or heavy thread
- Tempera or acrylic paint
- Two 2-foot-long wooden dowels
- 2-foot length of string
- Cut the fabric into a rectangle 1 1/2 by 2 feet.
- Iron the fabric, then lay it right side down and place a dowel parallel to and 1 1/2 inches from a short edge.
- Fold the edge of the fabric over the dowel. Use a darning needle and yarn or heavy thread to sew down the edge and form a casing for the dowel.
- Make a similar casing on the other short edge of the fabric.
- Set aside the dowels.
- Have your child paint a design or picture on the fabric, making sure a short edge is at the top.
- When the paint is dry, insert the dowels into the casings.
- Tie one end of the string to each end of the top dowel so your child can hang his artwork.