- Red and green construction paper
- Cut two circles from the red and green construction paper.
- Tape a straw to the back of each circle, leaving enough straw extending below the circle for your child to hold on to.
- Give your child the circles to hold in the car.
- As you drive up to a red light, say to your child, "I'm stopping now because the light is red. Can you hold up your red light?"
- When the light turns green, say, "I'm starting to drive now because the light is green. Can you hold up your green light?"
- If you like, refer to your child's red and green lights as red and green circles to reinforce the concept of shape.
- You can also play this game by cutting a stop sign from red construction paper.
- Tape a straw to the back, give it to your child, and ask her to hold her sign up every time you stop.