- 5 to 10 minutes
- Clear glass of water
- Food coloring
- Exploring color helps young children learn about their environment and all of its subtleties. Put a single drop of color into the water and stir.
- Talk about the color you see.
- Continue adding a drop at a time so your child can see the difference in shades from light to dark.
- Use words to help your child describe what is happening.
- Find samples of colors from fabrics or magazine pictures and talk about whether they are dark or light.