- 20 to 30 minutes
- 2 medium-sized brown packing boxes (about 18 inches or less across)
- Brightly colored thick yarn
- This activity helps toddlers learn about their body strength. Cut the flaps off 2 good-sized boxes, and be sure to remove any protruding staples.
- Pass a cord of sturdy yarn, about 12 to 15 inches long, through 2 holes at the end of one box.
- Link the second box to it using another piece of yarn. Your toddler will love to pull this mini-train around the house.
- Challenge your toddler to throw things into the train.
- Challenge your toddler to push the train from behind instead of pulling it.
- Put something heavy into the train so your toddler can experience resistance. Remove the items to show the difference in strength required.
- Repeat and talk about putting things in and taking them out, about it being too heavy or just right.