I recently posted a message titled, Diagnosis: developmental delay. I need help! My 4 yr old son, now in pre-k, will be transitioning into kindergarten this September. His next IEP meeting is scheduled for May. The Child Study Team in our town will be testing him (IQ, acedemic testing...). While all this is well and good, I still have concerns w/ how well my son will do in a regular classroom setting. I am well aware that the district is concerned primarily w/ money, and not really looking out for the best interest of my son. Presently, my son is attending 2 schools: our town public pre-k and a private special ed pre-school. Although he enjoys both settings, we feel he is benefitting so much more from the private school. On the other hand, though, I feel he could benefit from being around other children who have no disabilities. I just don't want to see him struggle, fall behind, get picked on.... It's a tough decision because he was never only in the public school. He's always had the support of the private school where he is progressing nicely. So do I throw him to the wolves into public kindergarten, or do I keep him in the private school? My biggest fear is if my son gives up the private school, he may never get it back. But if he doesn't try the public school solely, I'll never know if it's the best thing for him. Our town school has an okay reputation, but I don't get the feedback that I get from the private school. Therefore, I don't know how well my son is really doing there. Does anyone have a similar conflict? If so, which setting do you feel best benefits your child, and what do you base your decision on? I just want to do what's best for my son, as he suffers from a processing disorder, speech and language problems, short-term memory and problems w/ comprehension. Please read my original message, "Diagnosis, developmental delay", for more info about my son. Thank you to all who reply. I truly appreciate your advice and thoughtfulness.
Sincerely, concerned mom