Ex not telling @ childs medical problems / giving medication - FamilyEducation
Ex not telling @ childs medical problems / giving medication
09/24/2007 at 14:14 PM

I am a single dad with a 5 year old son. Up until 8/2007 his mother had primary placement. 8/2007 I was granted  joint custody. Last week I went to his 5 year exam. When the Dr. asked if he was on any medication - his mother said he needed a refill on his adderol. I spoke with his pediatrician today and she confirmed that he was taking this medication for ADD and that he should be taking it daily. It was prescribed for him over a year and a half ago. His mother has never told me he was on medication for any reason and has never sent him to my house with medicine.  In the last year he has been at my house 40% of the time. Any suggestions on how I should proceed with this? Should I contact my custody lawyer? Did I have the right to know this information prior to being awarded joint custody? It was my understanding that even when she had primary placement - she was to keep me informed of any medical issues. I also feel that this on again off again medicine is affecting his school work and everyday life. I wonder if he is even taking the medicine as my son states that he does not take any medicine at his mothers house and she has a history of alcohol abuse and appears to be wired / out of it quite often. I need suggestions of how to find out whats really going on here.

Hey daze,


I think the first thing you should do is talk to your ex-wife about this---ask her if your son is taking this medication at her house and ask her why she didn't tell you about it and have you give it to him when he was with you.  Also, you might want to talk to the doctor about this and also make sure that the doctor knows that you need to be notified of any change in medication from here on out.


If you don't feel like you are getting anywhere with your ex-wife then you probably should call your attorney and see what they think you should do about it.


Anyone else have any ideas or advice?