Infant Language Study at the University of Southern California
02/28/2011 at 14:22 PM

One of the most amazing things that young children do is learn to how to speak. How children are able to learn their mother tongue is a question that
psychologists and linguists have puzzled over for many years. Although much
progress has been made in understanding the problem, many unanswered
questions remain. At the Language Development Lab at the University of Southern California, we're trying to find out how children learn so much so quickly.

One of our present studies investigates how children as young as seven
months can figure out different sentence types in the language that they hear around them. This is something that infants seem to be able to do quite well, whereas the most sophisticated computers have great difficulty. We're trying to
figure out how babies can do this.

If your infant will be between 7-8 months old in the next few months,
we'd love to enroll you in our study. It just requires one visit to the
USC campus (parking provided) that usually lasts under 30 minutes.

For more information or to sign up for our study, go to
or call 213-740-2936

My school district has a form that you fill out. Call the school district office and ask them what the process is for you. Also ask them if they have materials you can use--an outdated textbook is probably 85% or more the same as the current one, maybe even more in the early grades, and ask them for your state curriculum.

Reading and writing and 'rithmatic are still the basics. Check your public library. There is a series of books: "What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know," "What Your First Grader Needs to Know", and so on.
Ask a librarian to help you find resources in your library.


Just call the school district office on the phone to ask them what the process is to withdraw your boy from school. If they have a process, they will tell you. I remember how emotional I was when I withdrew my first home-school student from conventional school, but the people at the district office are not (usually) emotionally involved.


Withdrawal information can be obtained by calling the school district main office for the procedure, which is usually not complicated. There are home schooling groups in nearly every area, the one we joined when we made the decision to begin homeschooling my daughter was very helpful in getting us started. The books mayamay suggested have useful information also.


Your rationale for deciding to homeschool is not required. School officials do not need to know your rationale. If it is known to them they do not need to agree with it. . . . The school cannot legitimately evaluate your educational plan on motive, only on content. Your rationale is extraneous information; your plan should speak for itself.

From this website:

In my plan, I included the textbooks and time I intended to use in teaching different subjects. My state no longer requires a plan, just an agreement to spend 5.5 hours for 180 days educating my child.


You have a run-on sentence.
" ... kindergarten level. We will . . . "

If you aren't positive you will use K-12, don't say you will. I am not very happy with K-12 at the 8th grade level here. The interface is very clunky and hard for my daughter to use. You could say you will use online and community resources.

The comment about it exceeding 180 days could be interpreted as picking a fight, which you don't need to do.


In my state, the request goes to the school district, not the school, and they give you a release so that if you take your kid somewhere during school hours you can show that the child is not a truant.

A style note--you don't have to, but I would figure out how many days are left of school and state that I would provide that many days of instruction. Twenty days each in March, April, and May would be 60. I've never asked for my kids' school records. It might be good to have another perspective. I hadn't thought of that before.