Tuesday, January 20, 2009 is a day that will go down in history. President-elect Barack Obama will be sworn into office as the 44th president of the United States. Obama, Vice President-elect Joe Biden, and their families will participate in the traditional inaugural ceremonies and events. The celebrations extend from January 17 to the 21. Below is the schedule of events for inauguration day, which begin at 11:30 a.m. (EST):
- Musical Selections: The United States Marine Band, followed by The San Francisco Boys Chorus and the San Francisco Girls Chorus
- Call to Order and Welcoming Remarks: Senator Dianne Feinstein
- Invocation: Dr. Rick Warren
- Musical Selection: Aretha Franklin
- Vice President-elect Joseph R. Biden, Jr. will be sworn into office by Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, the Honorable John Paul Stevens
- Musical Selection: John Williams, composer/arranger, with Itzhak Perlman, (violin), Yo-Yo Ma (cello), Gabriela Montero (piano) and Anthony McGill (clarinet)
- President-elect Barack H. Obama will take the Oath of Office, using President Lincoln’s Inaugural Bible, administered by the Chief Justice of the United States, the Honorable John G. Roberts, Jr.
- Inaugural Address
- Poem: Elizabeth Alexander
- Benediction: The Reverend Dr. Joseph E. Lowery
- The National Anthem: The United States Navy Band “Sea Chanters”
Are you going to watch or follow the schedule of events for the inauguration on television or on the Internet? Let us know how you plan to inform yourself or even celebrate on this historical day.